Wednesday, February 29, 2012

For Kenya with love

Today I wrote a letter to the girl my family is sponsoring in Nairobi, Kenya. 


Sylvia is only a year younger than me but already writes such nice letters and I feel closer to her by every letter we exchange. It is almost time to receive a new updated photo of her and I think we might get one of her with the gift we just sent to her family so I am so excited about this!!


First photo we received of Sylvia

6 months later.. Sylvia and the fiction books bought for her

6 months later.. Sylvia with the jacket+blanket purchased from a gift sent


I sent her a two page letter where I told her about Easter traditions and how I usually spend the holiday with my family. I told her about Jesus and how much he loves her. I told her about my volleyball team and my favorite animal and why it is my favorite animals. I also asked her a few questions about her. I shared some passages from the Bible that I like myself as well as I included some stickers, coloring pages and motives with Christian motives. I even manage to squeeze in some photos and a Easter card for every family member. After I went to the post office to drop it off, I felt so happy and good about it on my way home. And as much as it makes me feel great - I always need to remember that this is not only about me but about Sylvia. I am doing it for my sister in Africa because God has called me to do so. It is not a bidding that is hard to do at all. I love every second of it!


Do you have a sponsor child? What was the last things you shared with him/her when writing?

4 comments:

  1. That is great, Crystal! Thank you for sharing, I know she will cherish your letter forever! You know... we know a Compassion graduate in Nairobi .... wouldn't it be great if she could go visit Slyvia!

    I know it might be another organization but I am sure Maurine wouldn't mind!

    God has great plans for you! So thankful I found you!

    Much love,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by... hope you are enjoying your weekend. Hope I wasn't too pushy in my comment above.

    Much love,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! How neat to get photos of her. I think it's extra special that you two are close in age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crystal!

    It is so exciting to find other young homeschoolers who are passionate about helping children in poverty! I am a senior in high school and have homeschooled all my life. If you want, you can stop by my blog:

    http://anounceofcompassion.wordpress.com/

    I am looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete