Sunday, February 26, 2012

I wear my cross with pride

Last Christmas my grandmother gave me a silver cross as a gift. She had asked me some weeks before what sort of necklaces I would prefer.. simple, detailed, bejeweled, silver, gold etc. I told her I prefer all jewelry simple. In fact, I prefer most things in life to be simple. So you can only imagine the joy I felt when I opened up the red box Christmas morning to discover a simple, silver necklace with a cross attached to it.


That was two months ago. Today I met a man in church after service. After taking a closer look at me he told me that I should not wear the cross around my neck and that it was unnecessary. He also told me it was a form for idolization, which I shouldn’t really be doing. It confused me. I did not object too much, but instead told him that I had to go find my family after a bit. I thought about talking to my mom about it but decided not to.


I know deep in my heart that there is nothing wrong with carrying my silver cross. I do it as a reminder to myself that He is always with me. I know I don’t have to wear it to know that Jesus loves me. I wear it because I want to. Not to mention I feel  you are to always Idolize Jesus.  The ten commandments say that you shall have no other gods before me.


If there is anyone at all to Idolize, then Jesus is definitely it for me!

3 comments:

  1. what a beautiful gift from your grandmother. I think wearing your cross is a great way to show others you love Jesus and to show your grandmother how much you love her and Jesus.

    Hugs,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that you feel the same. I feel proud and grateful when I wear my gift. What can be better than feeling the love of Jesus and my grandmother every time I catch a glimpse of the cross in a mirror or window? :)

    With love,

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete